Disclaimer: English Kinda Thing

The sole purpose of the "English Kinda Thing" is to document my attempts to correct my own mistakes in standard English usage and to share the resources I find. In no way do I attempt to teach nobody English through these blurbs--just as I intend not to teach nobody to be a neurotic and psychotic handicap in Ratology Reloaded or Down with Meds! :-)

Friday, August 30, 2013

Moray, N. (1959). Attention in dichotic listening: Affective cues and the influence of instructions

In search of the general basis of my "self/egocentric" processing... involving hallucinations or not.  Why can't I concentrate on what I want to do but keep on getting distracted by hallucinations and delusions about things related to me?  Taking the good old cocktail party effect to the extreme?

https://www.msu.edu/~ema/802-readings/Ch3-1a-Moray59.pdf

Moray, N. (1959). Attention in dichotic listening: Affective cues and the influence of instructions. Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology, 11(1), 56-60.

"Subjectively 'important' messages, such as a person’s own name, can penetrate the block: thus a person will hear instructions if they are presented with his own name as part of the rejected message."

No comments:

Post a Comment