Disclaimer: English Kinda Thing

The sole purpose of the "English Kinda Thing" is to document my attempts to correct my own mistakes in standard English usage and to share the resources I find. In no way do I attempt to teach nobody English through these blurbs--just as I intend not to teach nobody to be a neurotic and psychotic handicap in Ratology Reloaded or Down with Meds! :-)

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Turk, Brady-Van Den Bos, Collard, Gillespie-Smith, Conway & Cunningham (2013) Divided attention selectively impairs memory for self-relevant information


Turk, D. J., Brady-Van Den Bos, M., Collard, P., Gillespie-Smith, K., Conway, M. A. & Cunningham, S. J. (2013) Divided attention selectively impairs memory for self-relevant information. Memory & Cognition, 41(4), 503-510.


"the memory advantages associated with self-referential encoding are dependent on the availability of attentional resources."

How does this paper resonate with my head?

  1. Self-referencing is attentionally demanding and could thus compete with other attentionally demanding task.  Worst of all, don't know about for the normal, self-referencing info are prioritized.
  2. The memory advantage of self-associated items is possibly what contribute to my plights... (the fuzzy boundary between good and bad)
  3. Given the need for the attentional resource, does the need to engage in other attentional demanding task depletes the "advantage" of self-referenced items?  Based on my "field" experiences such as working at large, yes, when highly focused on my work, I could attempt to minimize the impacts of self-related items... though it ain't fail-safe.





No comments:

Post a Comment