Disclaimer: English Kinda Thing

The sole purpose of the "English Kinda Thing" is to document my attempts to correct my own mistakes in standard English usage and to share the resources I find. In no way do I attempt to teach nobody English through these blurbs--just as I intend not to teach nobody to be a neurotic and psychotic handicap in Ratology Reloaded or Down with Meds! :-)

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Singelis (1994) The Measurement of Independent and Interdependent Self-Construals

This is yet another article that discusses the notion of the self in the cross-cultural context. Reminding me of an era when I got interested in within-(cultural)group differences. I think I might have did my master's thesis in the developmental psychology department using data collected from the Taiwanese population.

Singelis, T. M. (1994). The Measurement of Independent and Interdependent Self-Construals. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 20(5), 580-591

Singelis developed the Self-Construal scale based on Markus and Kitayama' notion of independent and interdependent self-construals, and referenced existing literature and instruments demonstrating the coexistence of the dual self.  The author ran exploratory factor analysis to establish a two-factor model (independent and interdependent self-construal) and confirmatory factory analysis to validate the two-factor model. Results indicated that the two factors are orthogonal to each other and the findings of the low correlation (r=-.044) between the scores of the two subscales also provided supporting evidences for the orthogonality.

The most important point I got from reviewing this article this time is that, while the independent and interdependent self-construals can and do exist in an individual, how well the independent self-construal is developed in a person is independent of how well the interdependent self-construal is developed in the same person, and vice versa.  In a sense, they are two separate dimensions on the multidimensional plane.





No comments:

Post a Comment