Disclaimer: English Kinda Thing

The sole purpose of the "English Kinda Thing" is to document my attempts to correct my own mistakes in standard English usage and to share the resources I find. In no way do I attempt to teach nobody English through these blurbs--just as I intend not to teach nobody to be a neurotic and psychotic handicap in Ratology Reloaded or Down with Meds! :-)

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Training segmental productions for second language intelligibility

The study of Burleson (2007), native Mandarin speakers were  requested to practices minimal pairs of vowel contrasts.  The participants listen to a model pronunciation first before speak to microphone to have a computerized speech recognizer providing feedback on the their utterance.  Results of the evaluation study found significant improvements in participants' pronunciation. 

Interestingly, the author observed a drop in the pronunciation of the [i]-[I] contrast.  It was speculated that such observations might be due to the influences of the preponderance stimuli and participants might have overapplied what they have learned.

http://gradworks.umi.com/32/55/3255507.html

No comments:

Post a Comment