Disclaimer: English Kinda Thing

The sole purpose of the "English Kinda Thing" is to document my attempts to correct my own mistakes in standard English usage and to share the resources I find. In no way do I attempt to teach nobody English through these blurbs--just as I intend not to teach nobody to be a neurotic and psychotic handicap in Ratology Reloaded or Down with Meds! :-)

Friday, June 19, 2009

Introduction: Clinical Manual of pain management in psychiatry (Leo, 2007)

Leo, R. J. (2007). Introduction Clinical Manual of pain management in psychiatry (pp. 1-10). Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc.

Following is the ideas I find of special interest to me on a day when my head is aching, body hurts and ears can't stand sounds if not noises... 8-O lol sigh

In this chapter, the author provided an analysis about the problems associated with the tradition model about pain. Essentially, underlying the traditional model is a dualist view about pain: pain is either organic or psychogenic. When patients do not respond to treatment and when the reported pain experiences seem to be disproportional to the physical evidence, the belief that the pain is psychological emerges. However, for many patients, the dualistic notion seems inadequate (Boisservain & McCAIN, 1991; Lynch 1992).

It was also suggested that, driven by the frustration that they could not pin point a cause for patients' pain or the lack of improvement in patients' condition, some doctors might start to discount patients' complaint and consider patients' condition as psychic in nature rather than somatic.

So what kind of impact does it have when pain patients are referred to a psychiatrist and, perhaps, like me, whenever I complaint about my condition, that doctor of mine would tell me to go back and talk to my psychiatrist? Apparently, patients might feel that the doctor has given them up, their condition is no longer taken seriously, or, they are blamed for their lack of responsiveness to treatments because it is all in their head (Gamsa 1994). (Page 4-5)

What I find most interesting about the above is interaction among "patient condition," doctor's belief system, and, patients' belief system.

No comments:

Post a Comment